Monday, May 4, 2009

What is data entry speed and how do you measure it?

Somewhere I found outthat data entry speed is KEYSTROKESD PER HOUR, which is measured using the formula= words per minute X 300. Is this true?

What is data entry speed and how do you measure it?
Actually, that is true if you assume that words are roughly 5 characters in length on average (there will be words with more characters and words with less ones). I consider my typing speed 'intermediate', and it's around 70 words per minute. Assuming that the average word is about 5 characters long, then my keystrokes = 70*6=420 characters per minute.


And for 1 hr, I'd have 420*60 = 21000 keystrokes.


Using your formula, I would have: 70*300 = 21000





Same thing. I guess it's a rough estimate, but is is a decent one.


No comments:

Post a Comment