Monday, November 16, 2009

Can you help me with basic directions for data entry into a TI-83 Plus scientific calculator?

I need help with basic directions for data entry into a TI-83 Plus scientific calculator. I am taking the Math A Regents review course and am scheduled for the January exam. If anyone can please help me in regard to translating algebraic and other mathematical problems onto the calculator, I would be so grateful.


If you could reply with the type or examples of certain problems and how to enter them into the calculator and their corresponding categories/topics in math or their formulas, or a simple description of the keys and their functions, it would mean the world to me. Thanks. Maryann P.

Can you help me with basic directions for data entry into a TI-83 Plus scientific calculator?
Um, I can help. But one little thing: I'm assuming you meaning the TI 83 graphing calc. Because if you only have a scientific, there's barely any chance you can do anything on your calculator...





Okay, a tutorial, you say?


For solving a one variable equation, you can use the equation solver (press MATH %26gt; 0)


e.g. Solve x^2-9=0.


1) Press "MATH".


2) Press "0:Solver".


3) Type in "x^2-9" (the =0 part is automatic, if the equation is like x^2+x=6, then you'd have to change it into 0=x^2+x-6)


4) Press "ENTER".


5) Enter a guess. If you want the negative answer, punch in a random negative number. If you want a positive answer, punch in a random positive number. This doesn't have to be accurate, at all, just a value for the calculator to build from. I just entered in 7. I could have pressed -7 too, they may or may not give different solutions, based on the solution set.


6) Press "ALPHA" followed by "ENTER" (it's still the ENTER button , but pressing alpha first makes it the SOLVE function instead)


7) There you go! You get x=3! Yay! Try -7, you'll get the other root...





For two variable equations, you graph both equations, and find the intersection.


e.g. Solve x+y=5, 3x+y=13.


1) Press "Y=".


2) Under "Y1", type in 5-x (you have to convert it to y=5-x to graph it, and the Y= is automatically included).


3) Under "Y2", type in 13-3x (same method as step 2).


4) Press "GRAPH". You'll see two intersecting lines, but you may not be sure where they intersect.


6) Press "2ND" and "TRACE" (which is the function CALC".


7) Press "5:intersect".


8) It will ask for "first curve?", just use the current line would be fine.


9) Press "ENTER".


10) When it prompts "second curve?", use the up and down arrow keys to choose the other line, if the cursor's not already on it.


11) Press "ENTER" again.


12) It'll ask "Guess?", you don't need a specific point when the lines only intersect once, so press "ENTER".


13) Voila! Intersection found, equation solved! (4,1) means x=4 and y=1.





That's all I can think of, really. Hope I've helped! =)
Reply:I have one of these calculators. I don't really know what you are wanting to find out about it or what you do and don't know. I really only know some of the basic stuff. I know how to put in information into a graph, if that helps. I'll try my best to explain it.





Push STAT 1. Put your information for the x-axis in L1, and you information for the y-axis in L2. When finished, press WINDOW. Fill in your information there. I don't think you will need to change Xres for many things. Then, go to 2nd and then Y=. Press enter and make sure Plot 1 is ON and press graph.





Hope this helps with some things.





Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment